Struggles

There is warfare within my being
the part I hate is prevailing 
my steps are slippery I'm unsure ground
my judgments are those of a fool

Apprehension is laughing at me
focus has forsaken me long ago
I cry a loud to God for I need him so
for my indecision has me in derision

Are there any faithful around
someone who can instruct me now
are all the sons of men unwise as I hear
can anyone lend a hand

I'm sick of myself and my trifling ways
when will I ever change 
for I'm engaged in struggles with the Angel
like Jacob and my hip is out of joint

When I intend to do well evil is present
when will I ever break free can't lay hold of 
righteousness once credited to my account
for wickedness has me overdrawn

For in confusion I scribe and by faith I pray for 
ignorance is baptized in its pool
for wisdom's a mirage and anguish an ocean as I struggle
to keep afloat

I'm on the edge of life as the struggles ensues
the chasm of despair I'm so near
mercy hold my hand that I'm not cast into Sheol
save me now so the struggle I can bear

Inspired by Genesis 32:24-32. Originally scribed in 2004

                              

Comments