In Jesus name, Amen!

In John 14:13-14 Jesus says the following to His disciples, and whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that I will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

So, what does it mean to pray in Jesus’ name? For a lot of Christians in means simply attaching Jesus name at the end of their petition which supposedly gives the prayer ultimate authority. Saying in Jesus name means to them that God has heard their prayer and is now obligated to answer it for we just read where Jesus, “if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.” Saying in Jesus’ name is almost like a magic incantation for some people. Saying in Jesus’ name has no power if one prays amiss (James 4:3). It’s not so much the words that moves God to answer our request, it’s the motivation and intent of the heart that determines whether a request is granted.

In verse 12 of John 14 we read, verily verily, or truly, truly I say to you, he that believes on Me, the works that I do shall he do also and greater works[1] than these shall he do because I go to the Father, and  (vs. 13) whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Notice what Jesus says first, he that believes on Me the works that I do. These are the pre requisites for anyone to even approach the Lord in prayer, belief in Him and His works. Jesus’ identity and works go hand in hand. Jesus’ works proved His identity, and because of that ID, He could do the works.

This is the key to answered prayer: And this is the confidence that we have in Him, if we ask anything according to His will He hears us (italics added for emphasis), and if we know He hears, us then we have the petitions we have desired of Him (I John 5:14-15).

So, praying in Jesus’ name is praying according to the will of God for our lives. Jesus always prayed according to the Father’s will. He never prayed for selfish motives, and as a result, all of His petitions were granted. If we pray out of the will of God, none of our prayers will be granted, even if we attach in Jesus’ name at the end of our misguided request. That phrase should never be used as a magic formula to get what we want from God.




[1] This word is in italics because it was not part of the original manuscript. The translators
Put the word works in the text because based on the context the word works is implied by Jesus.
Adding the word works here by no means alters or corrupts the meaning of the text.
Also when Jesus said that the disciples would do greater works than Him, He did not mean greater in quality,

But He had to mean greater in extent and quantity because they were commanded by Him to preach
To the uttermost parts of the world (Matt 28:19, 20).

Comments