What did Jesus mean when he said, "I came not to bring peace but a sword!"

This is one of those apparent contradictory statements by Jesus again. I love these type of statements by the Lord. And why? Because it forces me to carefully examine the text to see what he meant by this controversial phrase. 

Once again to understand what Jesus meant, we must understand the context in which he said it. Matthew 10:34-37 says, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth, but a sword. For I came to set a man against Father, and a Daughter against her Mother, and a Daughter-In-Law against her Mother-In-Law; and a man's enemies will be those of his own household. He who loves Father and Mother more than me is not worthy of me. And he who does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who will lose his life for my sake will find it."

The prior verses tell us that Jesus had commissioned his disciples to preach the gospel, heal the sick, raise the dead, and cast of demons (Matt 10:5-8). 

When Jesus said, "I came not to bring peace, but a sword", he was making reference to a sword of division between family members. Why in the world would Jesus want to do that? Because, family are the closest relationships we have in the earth. If we are to be effective genuine Christians, we have to be willing to abandon any and all relationships for the excellency that is in Jesus Christ or else we CANNOT serve him.  Jesus is commanding ultimate love and devotion to him first. All other relationships must be subservient to his. 

Jesus is not being double minded when he says that he came not to bring peace. He is and always will be the Prince of Peace as Isaiah 9:6 tells us. Yet at the same time, the life we must live as Christians will not be totally devoid of conflict and trial. Ultimately peace will prevail, but prior to obtaining eternal peace we will have conflict; perhaps even in our own family. Jesus is warning his readers that a cost is required to follow him. It is like he is saying, "Are you willing to cast your vote for me even at the expense of your family and even your own life?" If one is unwilling to do that, they cannot be Jesus' disciple. 

In Luke 9:59-62 we read these words, And he said to another, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my Father. But he said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God." Another also said, "I will follow you Lord, but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home." But Jesus said to him. "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back is fit for the kingdom of God."

If we are to follow Christ, we cannot make any excuses. Either we are all the way in, or we are out; no middle ground! Thank the Lord he cares enough about us to warn us first what is required to  follow him. Jesus does not paint a unrealistic pretty picture, but a real one of the cost of discipleship. 




Comments