Can We Have Peace In a World Of Unrest?

 This is a thought provoking question for me and I’m sure for many others. How do we have peace in the middle of the ongoing storms of life? Is Peace even possible? And if it is, what does it look like? If you were to ask several people, you would get different answers. Some would say peace is good health, prosperity, solid relationships with family, friends and neighbors. Others may find their peace through meditation, yoga and exercise to relieve stress. And then there are others that find peace through entertainment like sporting events and parties. All these things are from the outside, but can we have inner peace? And if so, how long does it last?

Jesus told His disciples before His suffering and death in John 14:27 that My peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives give I to you. So, there are two kinds of peace, worldly peace and heavenly peace. The world’s peace I just described above. God’s peace is nothing like the world’s. We need to examine some of the wonders of God’s peace.

How does one obtain God’s Peace?

Answering this question will be the bulk of this article. It is important I point out that the unregenerate will never have abiding peace. Why? Because they are not saved. They have never repented of their sins and placed their faith in Jesus Christ for the remissions of their sins to receive the gift of eternal life. The unsaved are at war with God so there is no peace for them. There is no peace for the wicked (Isaiah 57:21). The prophet Isaiah approximately seven hundred years before Christ called Jesus “The Prince of Peace” (Isa 9:6). That is why Jesus could tell His disciples that I am giving you My peace, He is the Prince and / or Ruler of it (John 14:27).

God’s peace is one of His perfect attributes. Peace means quietness, wholeness, tranquility. My favorite ones are assurance and fearlessness. It is only given to those who place their trust in the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ for the washing away of their sins for their justification. What that means is the prideful arrogant heart of mankind must be made low. Once man realizes his depravity is an affront to God’s holiness and that he deserves hell NOW, because of his rebellion against his creator, his heart is ready to receive the Father’s love that is in Christ who is willing and ready to save anyone who comes to Him, the right way; His way (John 14:6; Acts 4:12)! Without humility, man will never experience peace, only unrest. Even worse God’s wrath abides on the wicked and He is angry with them every day (John 3:36; Psalm 7:11). So those of you who read this paper and are stressed two things are happening; 1) You’re saved but you’re in sin so the peace you were given by God has been interrupted. Repent today and confess your sin so that you can get back in right relationship with Father and the Son to enjoy that peace and rest. God always forgives (1 John 1:9). 2) You’re not saved at all because you have never experienced the peace of God. You are being deceived because your worldly success and creature comforts have produced a mirage-peace, a false peace. But if one is honest, an external peace is not real peace at all. One author said unsaved people only experience God’s truce, but not His peace. God is forbearing with the wicked, but only for a while. God’s reckoning is coming! None will be able to stand against it (Revelation 6:12-17).

 

I still do not see how I can have peace in a world of turmoil

It is naturally a dichotomy when Christians declare we have peace, yet the world is on fire (literally and figuratively). After pondering on this I asked myself the question, “how would I describe God’s peace to someone who asked me?” My reply would be I liken God’s peace from the storms of the world like a mighty fortress with a forcefield that repels all invaders. Although every imaginable catastrophe is happening outside, it cannot penetrate and destroy my peace because God is protecting me from the evil. His peace is impenetrable. God’s peace is indwelt so the world cannot touch it. God’s peace does not mean everything is peaceful outside because clearly it is not. But for those who are in Christ and Christ is in them, peace is assured forever. Proverbs 18:10 says, “The name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run into it and are safe.” God’s peace is our hiding place. God’s peace is assurance that although the world is about to bust hell wide open, we don’t have to worry. I know how history is going to end. The Bible tells me so.

I remember years ago I was working at a place when we had a major earthquake. It may have been the San Francisco quake in October of 1989. It damaged the Bay Bridge and temporarily stopped the World Series between the Oakland A’s and the San Francisco Giants. Several co-workers were in a panic thinking maybe the world was coming to an end. I remember my friend who is a brother in Christ said that several people came to him in fear asking for prayer. He asked them, “Why? What are you worried about?” You see, he possessed the peace of God, they did not. God’s inner peace calms the spirit of the otherwise restless soul that normally would be running around petrified by every problem. Who in the world wants to live like that every single day?! Sadly, the majority of the world does.

True peace can never come through government legislation, climate change, clean energy and elections. Mankind can and never will be the solution. Man’s wickedness is the reason why we need the Lord to cure our universal disease, our sin.

God’s peace is the gift that keeps on giving. It is a living and divine power. It is the healing of the soul. God’s peace makes one whole. It is granted when one is saved and abides with child of God throughout their life. It’s an attribute of God that we must cultivate and develop in our lives so that we become more Christ-like. Our peace is interrupted when our flesh causes us to doubt the promises of God and we get caught up in sin. God’s peace is still there, but we have abandoned it to do our own thing – focusing too much on our circumstances and worldly things. Once that happens, we lose assurance, and we begin to worry. At that time we are not experiencing the peace of God.

So yes, we can and do have peace in a world of evil because Jesus has overcome the world (John 16:33) Those of us who are in Christ are joint heirs with Him (Rom 8:14; Eph 3:6). What He possesses is ours for He gave it to us by divine right. Notice I said He gave it to us; we didn’t earn it neither do we deserve it.

So child of God you can enjoy rest. YES! Even now. I’m endeavoring to grow in it every day. Why? The mess we are dealing with now is Romper Room compared to what is about to come shortly thereafter. Things are about to get far worse before they get better. So let’s practice God’s peace in our lives everyday by studying His word, meditating on His promises for us and obeying His commands. That’s the peace that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:6-7).

Only a fool wouldn’t want that.

 

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul. He causes me to walk in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For you are with me; Your rod and staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever

Psalm 23:1-6

 

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus

Philippians 4:6-7

Comments